   RE: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

> From: Marcus Carr [mailto:mcarr@allette.com.au]

<snip/>

> Umm, no thanks. There are still plenty of people working with
> DTDs and/or
> avoiding the use of namespaces where possible. I don't think that it's
> appropriate to condemn them to using a non-XML parser, or am
> I missing something?

How many of them use ":" in names? I routinely use XML documents that don't
use namespaces with standard XML tools that are namespace-aware. Does this
really require a special mode of processing that does not understand
namespaces? Will it really break real-world documents out there if any name
with a ":" must comply with XML namespaces in XML 1.1?

I'm inclined to think that folding namespace support into the core XML spec
for 1.1 will have very modest cost. This seems to me the opportune time to
do it. If not now, then when? Do some take the position that this should
never happen?