   RE: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

> From: Marcus Carr [mailto:mcarr@allette.com.au]

<snip/>

> I'm not saying that I have the answers. I really don't know
> what the best
> approach is and I'm not saying that it shouldn't go ahead,
> but I think that we
> need to make sure that we don't end up breaking exiting
> systems needlessly.

Well, this I can certainly agree with. There are many people still using
DTDs and any changes to XML should be sensitive to this and go to great
lengths to avoid breaking existing systems.

I'll confess I don't have all of the answers, either; but I'm inclined to
believe that namespace support can be introduced in a gentle fashion such
that this requirement can be accomodated -- as long as these documents are
not relying upon an ability to include ":" in names that are not
namespace-scoped.