   Re: RE: RE: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

4/4/2002 2:15:09 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>What is the value of adding namespaces to the core
>unless every system layer above it depends on them?

"Emergent intelligence is a principle of complexity theory applied to systems
evolution. [3]. It refers to the ability of a system as it becomes complex to exhibit
behaviors not possible until a set of subsystems are merged and interact."
http://www.eco-online.com/pdf/infoeco.pdf  [Look familiar Len? :~) ]

Without subsystems to interact, you don't get emergence.  What if,
10 years ago, one could get HTML separately from URLs and HTTP.
"What's the value of adding URLs and HTTP ...I don't use anything
in HTML  that depends on it, why do I need it?"  The reason is that the
"emergent property" of HTML+HTTP+URL (aka "the Web") is so much more
valuable than any individual piece.  So, there's a dilemma: modularization
and "best of breed" components are a good thing, but emergent intelligence
is an even better thing.

The value of namespaces as a truly universal, must have, integral
part of XML is still TBD, as far as I'm concerned, but the argument would
be that XML without namespaces is like HTML without HTTP.  Adding
namespaces to the core ensures that some new "emergent intelligence" that
depends on both can thrive without anyone having to install anything.

Again, I personally am somewhat skeptical of the situation in this particular
case, but I definitely sympathize with the argument, with or without a
concrete value proposition for today.