   Re: [xml-dev] Validate an XPath with regex

Hi,

I'm not really a regex expert either (nor at anything else for that matter
;), but I have successfully implemented an XPath processor using a
recogniser generated directly from the BNF productions in the spec.  The
generated parser uses my own generalised regular expression engine with
which to perform its wonders (implying that it should indeed be possible to
specify the whole thing as one ginormous regex).  The only minor
fly-in-the-ointment came from the fact that many of the productions are
defined inductively, .e.g.

A ::= B | A '/' B | A '//' B

requiring them to first be refactored into

A ::= B ( ( '/' | '// ) B )*

to prevent infinite recursion.

I'm not au fait with the theory of all this so I would appreciate
comments/corrections from those more knowledgable than myself (Joe?) on the
following summary:

The BNFs as presented in the spec specify an LR(1) grammar - in that you
need 1-token lookahead to be able to effect the above refactoring.  You can
easily manipulate the productions by hand to remove the lookahead
requirement which would then make it an LR(0), or context-free, grammar.
You could, in theory at least, then use simple algebraic substitution all
the way to remove all the intermediate non-terminals.

But then, in theory, you could also insert bamboo shoots under your
fingernails, which may be marginally less painful, and about equally as
useful! <g>

cheers,

gary