   Re: [xml-dev] SQL DTD and related questions

Which type of transformation to use depends on the software you are
using.

The advantage of (1) is that you can write XSLT documents to transform
it to most SQL dialects and get a series of SQL statements that can be
executed directly. (If you write an XSLT generator that takes mapping
information and an XML document and does this, you might want to make it
available as Open Source. People ask for this fairly often, but I have
never seen it implemented.)

The advantage of (2) is that it the resulting XML document can be fed
directly to many different products that use an object-relational
mapping to transfer data from an XML document to the database. Note that
XSLT stylesheets that perform (2) will probably need to perform
structural transformations as well as value transformations. This is
because XML document structure is often different from database
structure.

-- Ron