   Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces alternative? (was Re:WD for Namespaces 1.1)

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 11:16, Seairth Jacobs wrote:
> Why change them?  Just start using something else instead.  Leave namespaces
> where they are now.  If they work for some, then there is no reason to get
> rid of it for those people.  If they don't work for others, then maybe
> something along the lines of what I was proposing might be a more suitable
> solution.  There is always room for change...

If you look at an XML strictly as a set of rules for creating local
vocabularies, then sure: just do what you like, and don't worry about
anyone else.

If on the other hand, you look at XML as a framework for building
diverse document structures and processing using a common set of tools,
then the picture isn't so beautiful.  Your documents may well outlive
the tools you built for your own namespace flavor, leaving others to
piece together what you really meant, and they may also escape the
boundaries of your system.

In general, I don't consider closed-system expectations worth thinking
about, so I'm afraid it does matter to me what other people are doing.
It makes change a lot more difficult, yes.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!