   Re: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> Namespaces are system flags to XML processors.
> They don't belong in the core.  Because names
> of resources and names of locations of resources
> in the system are conflated, you can't put them
> in the core without tieing them directly to
> the system.  That violated platform independence.

"names of resources and names of locations of resources" - even
conflated - concern things which are independant of the one, single
property intrinsic to namespaces: the capacity to disambiguating names.
which, i would trust, remains part of the "core". establishing identity
with respect to

<asdf xmlns='12345' />

<abcd:asdf xmlns:abcd='12345' />

is no different than doing so with respect to

<!ENTITY % qwer 'asdf'>
<!ELEMENT %qwer; EMPTY >

none of which has to do with either the names of resources or the names
of locations of resources.

> Not all schemas are equal.  This is a flaw
> in your ideas.  Namespaces with HTTP in the
> definition are considered resolvable.

which has nothing to do with the identity of the names in the respective namespace.