   RE: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

From: james anderson [mailto:james.anderson@setf.de]

>"names of resources and names of locations of resources" - even
>conflated - concern things which are independant of the one, single
>property intrinsic to namespaces: the capacity to disambiguating names.
>which, i would trust, remains part of the "core". establishing identity
>with respect to

><asdf xmlns='12345' />

><abcd:asdf xmlns:abcd='12345' />

>none of which has to do with either the names of resources or the names
>of locations of resources.

That is why namespaces shouldn't be in the core as long as
they are tied to a system and are resolvable.  Identity isn't
a property.  Identification is a process.  It's systemic.

We were beaten down with the "oh well, just because they
can resolve doesn't mean we told them they could" arguments
before.  It leads to unreliable implementations and unpredictable
results.  Because the jury is out on almost everything beyond
punctuation, there is no need to make a change now.  Enough of
the slippery slopes of minimalism.

len