   [ANN] Common API for XML Pull Parsing (XMLPULL V1)

hi,

it is our pleasure to announce now finalized XMLPULL V1 API
(small changes are still possible but we will make every
effort possible to keep it backward compatible).

XMLPULL or Common API for XML Pull Parsing is an effort to
define a simple and elegant pull parsing API (currently for
Java). It is created as a result of merging two
XML pull parsing APIs for Java: kXML and XPP. As the authors of
kXML and XPP we have realized that the lack of one common
API is the main stumbling block in gaining acceptance of
XML pull parsing between XML developers. Therefore for last
few months we worked on a common API that will be easy to
use (following old design philosophy: keep the simple things
simple and make the complex things possible) and still
allows to accomplish all XML pull parsing related tasks.
XMLPULL API can be used from J2ME to J2EE and it allows
to create small footprint and high perfromance
parser implementations.

Some of interesting features of XMLPULL:
* it is a minimalist API and therefore it is very easy to
  create an implementation from scratch or
  on top of existing XML parsers / tokenizers
* it is designed to allow implementing on top of it
  push parsers (such as SAX), pull parsers that provides
  immutable event object instance (XML iterators), or even DOM
* supports Namespaces in XML Recommendation
* supports fast high level iteration (next()) and low level
  tokenizing (nextToken())
* to support J2ME and very small implementations parsing of
  DOCDECL is optional (but DOCDECL is reported if requested)
* it is in public domain (though tests are LGPL)

Please visit XMLPULL V1 API web page at:

   http://www.xmlpull.org/

Two implementations of API are available: latest kXML2 and
XPP3 are now supporting XMLPULL V1 API and they both pass
all XMLPULL V1 API Conformance Tests. To download
XMLPULL implementation visit kXML2 (http://www.kxml.org)
or XPP3 (http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/soap/xpp).

Please give XMLPULL a try and let us know what is your opinion.

Thanks,

Aleksander Slominski and Stefan Haustein