   Re: [xml-dev] [ANN] Common API for XML Pull Parsing (XMLPULL V1)

Steve Muench wrote:

> How does XMLPULL V1 relate to this Sun JCP effort?
>
> I tried searching the homepage at www.xmlpull.org for any obvious
> pointers before asking, but nothing jumped out at me.

hi,

XMLPULL V1 API precedes JSR 173 by several months (we worked on it since november or
earlier)

XMLPULL design principle is to make as simple as possible pull parsing in Java
environments from J2ME  to J2EE (i do think that C++ binding for XMLPULL API is simple
except for one problem: what is to use for String:
char/wchar_t/string/wstring/utf16/int32 ...)

when comparing to goals of JSR 173 here are differences:
* XMLPULL currently does not have any pull parse event model (that is represented as
object instances - XMLPULL is more like an integrated specialized iterator)
    - however objects that encapsulates events can be easily added on top of XMLPULL
(and that is what i was doing in XPP2 anyway) but we wanted to keep XMLPULL simple and
easy to implement in reasonable small size for in J2ME environments;
    - we tried to stay kind of agnostic on issues of best object model for XML events
    - however JSR 173 defines as one of objectives designing a set of objects and
interfaces that encapsulate the information contained in an XML stream and that may make
it a more natural API to use for java developers
* XMLPULL has no writer/printer interface though we seriously think about adding such
optional interface - in JSR 173 developing such API is one of main objectives
* XMLPULL can be used on J2ME but JSR 173 is targeted for J2SE
* XMLPULL is available now with two implementations that were developed and maintained
for last few years - we tried to put this experience back into XMLPULL design and i hope
to the same thing working on JSR 173

hope it clarifies differences.

thanks,

alek