   Re: [xml-dev] XML from java

Hi,

Ronald

I did try Merant drivers but they are type 3 drivers and it is not possible to make your changes persistant after manipulation of your xml file (with some sql functions for instance). In our application, we just can't use type 3 drivers because it goes against the product design guidelines and they are more complex to set and use. In our context, we would like the relational view to be based in the DTD file. Ideally, the JDBC driver  would make automatically the mapping (relational->XML and XML->relational) and would provide the standard JDBC functions. We want to be able to treat any XML files with a DTD.

Ronald

Thank you for your advise. We basically don't want to limit the XML file formats. The only limitation we have is the obligation to have a DTD file describing the XML file structure.

Amar

I just downloaded Sunopsis JDBC for XML driver and I am now trying it, I will let you know later on if that's we are looking for.

Thank you all for your help and prompt reply. I really appreciate.

Regards,

Jihan Lee

  Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com> wrote:

I think Merant used to have a driver that did this, but I'm not sure if
it's available any more.

Note that there are a number of strategies for doing this. (Both SQL
Server and Oracle support this with SQL functions/operators.)

1) Document is table. The document must have the form:

This is simple, but the disadvantage is that it only works with
documents that match the above format.

2) Designate row elements. The user specifies a "row" element with an
XPath expression. The attributes and/or simple child elements of the
"row" element are treated as columns. This allows users to extract a
fixed part of any XML document.

3) Designate row and column elements. Same as (2), except that further
XPath expressions that use the row element as context designate the
column elements/attributes.

-- Ron

Jihan Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are developping an application that access various databases using
> the correspondng JDBC drivers. We actually would like to actually
> extend this fonctionality to XML files. In fact we would like to view
> our XML files as tables and perform all kind of SQL statments on them.
> We do not wish to make specific programming for that but use standard
> JDBC interfacing. Does anyone know of any JDBC driver for accessing
> XML files preferably a type 4 driver ?

Do You Yahoo!?