   RE: [xml-dev] XML from java

We are developping an application that access various databases using the correspondng JDBC drivers. We actually would like to actually extend this fonctionality to XML files. In fact we would like to view our XML files as tables and perform all kind of SQL statments on them. We do not wish to make specific programming for that but use standard JDBC interfacing. Does anyone know of any JDBC driver for accessing XML files preferably a type 4 driver ?

In general, creating a relational view of an XML infoset is possible but difficult, and the result is likely to be fairly unusable because of the number of joins needed. In special cases, where you are using XML to represent a two-level hierarchy, it can be done quite nicely (as is shown by some of the Microsoft and Oracle products). The problem is (a) that the solution for the special case is likely to be very different from the solution for the general case, and (b) restricting yourself to two-level hierarchies is hardly a very effective way of exploiting XML.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com