   RE: [xml-dev] [good] Question about NS 1.1

Michael Kay:
> And I have yet to see a
> > proposal that cleans up the namespace model without
> breaking applications that work today according to the current specs.

James Anderson:

> To the extent that an application expects a prefix-namespace binding
> which was apparent in the dynamic context of a given document's parser
> to have indefinite extent, the application is already broken.

Sorry, but we're on a different wavelength. I don't see how you can describe
an application that uses facilities defined in the current W3C
specifications (facilities that were put there deliberately and that are
implemented uninformly in a dozen products) and that uses these facilities
as they were designed to be used, as "broken".

We can regret the fact that it was specified it that way (that's what I mean
by hindsight), but we can't pretend that it wasn't.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com