   Re: [xml-dev] Naive Question about NS 1.1

>> >Since it knows that as soon as the element tag has been parsed, it could
>> >well act on that knowledge and discard it.
>>
>> I can't follow that - too many "it"s.  What knows what as soon as the
>> element tag has been parsed?
>
>In the cited passage, "the XSLT processor".

How can the XSLT processor know it as soon as the element tag has been
parsed?  The XSLT processor doesn't parse element tags, the parser does!
After parsing, the element names have been resolved but the QName in the
attribute value hasn't (because the parser doesn't know it's a QName).
So the parser has to pass the namespace map to the XSLT processor.

>The last assertion confuses me. Where all qualified names have been
>interpreted, that is, where "[the downstream processor has] interpreted
>the element", what does a relation between prefixes and namespace names mean?

Sorry, by "the downstream processor has interpreted the element" I
meant "... interpreted everything in the element's attribute values
and text content".  So long as there is text in the attributes or
content that might be interpreted as a QName, the map has to be kept.

-- Richard