   carriage return handling in XML parsers

I am trying to understand the implications of what the
XML 1.0 spec says about End-of-Line Handling and would
appreciate some clarification from more experienced
shoulders.

It would appear that given this section, it is never possible
to get unaccompanied carriage return "characters" in the
stream of information provided by an XML parser, be it
SAX or DOM, unless I encode these as character references
in the input file to the parser. Is this correct?

On a related note, assuming simple ascii files, if I now
encode the carriage return as a character reference, and
round trip the file through an XSLT identity transform,
will the output file be identical or will the carriage
return now be represented as a single <CR> byte?

Thanks
Michael