   Re: [xml-dev] carriage return handling in XML parsers

>It would appear that given this section, it is never possible
>to get unaccompanied carriage return "characters" in the
>stream of information provided by an XML parser, be it
>SAX or DOM, unless I encode these as character references
>in the input file to the parser. Is this correct?

Yes.

>On a related note, assuming simple ascii files, if I now
>encode the carriage return as a character reference, and
>round trip the file through an XSLT identity transform,
>will the output file be identical or will the carriage
>return now be represented as a single <CR> byte?

Ooh, good question.  It seems to me that XSLT ought to re-escape it,
since it's supposed to output an XML file that would produce the same
thing when read in again.  But the two XSLT processors that I have
to hand (xt and saxon, both probably rather old) just output CR
characters.

-- Richard