   Re: [xml-dev] Do we need to have INTERNET connection when wereference...

4/11/2002 12:26:45 PM, "Vanam, Ravindar" <Ravindar.Vanam@nordstrom.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just wondering whether we need INTERNET connection when we reference the name
spaces

NO.

Probably the most frequently asked of all XML questions!
See http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/03/08/namespaces/index.html?page=2 and
http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/NamespacesFAQ.htm "

"XML namespaces don't actually exist as physical or conceptual entities (see myth #
1 in "Namespace Myths Exploded"). What is important is the name of the XML
namespace, which is a URI."

The W3C Brain Trust is now trying to figure out what should happen when a namespace
URI is referenced, but in the namespaces spec, URIs are just a convenient way to
generate globally unique names without yet another central registry.