   Re: [xml-dev] Will Web Services Kill HTTP?

> > Is BEEP-bound SOAP considered to be "on
> > the Web" or "on the Internet" as "BEEP-enabled
> > services"?
>
> I'd certainly consider it to be 'on the internet'.  Not 'on the web'
> though, since it doesn't use 'web' protocols.
>
> -bob

Bob,

Don't know much about BEEP, but from the brief description, I take that
it at least uses TCP as its internet transfer protocol??

The next question would be, at what level is it considered the web.

I would think that nntp, smtp, pop, ftp, irc and the various other internet
protocols are also not the web.  I personally wouldn't even consider SOAP
a web protocol, even though it is based on XML. it is an encapsulation
protocol for RPC that can be bound to any other internet protocol to allow
for access through Firewalls.  HTTP being used the most, as it is
the Port that is commonly open on a firewall.

I do believe as the internet transitions to IPv6, that some of the underlying
protocols will change to take full advantages of it.  (if we ever do move
to IPv6) With that move perhaps a robust low level protocol for RPC will
become available??

Douglas