   RE: [xml-dev] Adobe Discovers Information Can Change

Ummm.... I use them too.  Their products are cool.
Their implementation of SVG is unmatched so far.
Their patents are secure too. ;-)

The quotes in the article blithely ignore history
or reveal a lack of knowledge of it.  Either is
unacceptable from a CEO or product manager at this
stage of the game.  I do feel that companies such
as Adobe that spent a lot of effort trying to quash
markup before it rolled over them need to acknowledge
that they were not exactly first to the party or
wisest rather than say "AHHH!!! XML!  I GET IT NOW!"
They knew.  They just played the game MS was so
roundly criticized for playing.

Yet MS got there first and has done more for XML than
almost any of what I consider to be 'the late comers
to markup'.   ArborText has been around a long time
in markup and fielded some of the most sophisticated
markup systems available.  Those bits leave me gasping
because they certainly do know the history or did.

Unless the XML company CEOs get this stuff right, why
should anyone believe the rest of their story?  It
only hurts our markets when that stuff comes out because
we have a customer-base burned badly by the hype,
investors who lost billions, and now we have to be
extra special on point to sort facts for them.  The
most honest history of XML I've seen on a company
site was at Microsoft.  They do learn quickly.

len