   RE: [xml-dev] Boundless Space and Identity

A real number is a systemic means to name points
on a line.  The line need not be infinite, but it
even it is, position is the way to name.  The
boundary can be set by declaring a range, limiting
the function, etc.   Remember, 'effective addressing'.
Addressing into infinite space is likely to become
entropic.  Boundaries establish scope.

What am I getting at?  Clarity.  We may be
asked to accept definitions that depend on terms
such as "information space".  I want to be
clear about what kinds of boundaries establish when
an information item in an information space is
"on the web" and "off the web".  What are the
boundaries of the information space of the web?
Is that a useful question to ask?

1.  System identity decides ( a URI exists or
can be safely and reliably derived)

2.  Protocol decides.  The use of HTTP and
the generic methods (a la Fielding).

It can't be simply access.  It is possible
for two systems to communicate and return
an item across a boundary.  Effectively, that
is what a SOAP RPC does.  One can make a request
for an item "off the web" and have it returned
"to the web".

3.  There are no boundaries.  This will make
the web zealots happy and it is a nice marketing
line, but it is useless except for creating
ever expanding hegemonies and that way lies
disaster and dissolution.   It simply says,
the web is a network of communicating entities.
Web = Network.  That is useless.

len