   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Paul Prescod wrote:

>Nevertheless, there is no reason that the same should not work for
>input. VS.net merely has a bug that does not permit that. If one uses
>HTTP POST there is no apparent reason that anything that can be done on
>OUTPUT should be restricted on INPUT. It seems quite simple to me:

Two problems with this - first, the the bug  appears to extend to the
 implementation of mime for input - at least, I can telnet a
application/x-www-form-urlencoded POST to my VS.Net application, but not
a text/xml one. Could be operator malfunction, of course, and I agree
that the WSDL note appears to permit this idiom. But secondly, the the
parameters for my transaction are in fact for a database query, which
HTTP 1.1 appears to say [1] is an incorrect use of POST.

Francis.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.5