   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims (Was: What does SOAP really add?)

At 06:00 AM 4/22/2002 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>AndrewWatt2000@aol.com scripsit:
>
> > The W3C's TAG is a positive innovation, with publicly accessible
> discussion.
> > If that is possible for TAG-related issues why isn't it possible for
> other WG
> > discussions? .... Of course, I suspect that it is "possible". It's simply
> > that it isn't wanted.
>
>On the [censored] W3C-internal mailing list, to which I belong, the
>question of open access was brought up -- and shot down on the
>to-me unbelievably feeble ground that certain members were afraid of
>spam if their addresses were openly published!

Spam is a huge problem on the public lists, and one they haven't been very
successful at dealing with.

However, the larger argument against open access or open read-access is
about getting work done. With member-restricted access to mailing lists WG
participants are free to argue at length (and sometimes vociferously), and
then gain consensus that will be published for the public. While there may
be a prurient interest in knowing how Company X argued vs. Company Y,
having those discussions open for public view will undoubtedly curtail such
discussions, or drive them into private circulation, where the archival
value is lost.

Ann

Ann Navarro, WebGeek Inc.
http://www.webgeek.com/