   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims (Was: What does SOAP really add?)

Matthew Gertner wrote:

> Ann Navarro wrote:
> > I've been involved in both open information and closed-forum
> > initiatives,
> > and I find much more productivity in the limited-access venues.
>
> I'd be very interested to hear other opinions on this. Personally
> I've been involved in both open and closed initiatives, and my
> experience runs entirely counter to yours.

My experience is similar to Ann's.

Quite simply, small development groups are more productive than large
groups. If you have to communicate to too many people, the
communication overhead begins to overwhelm the energy you have to
create. Also, in the beginning phases, you make many wrong guesses and
stupid mistakes, and in a small, creative team, you give yourself
permission to do so, because that's how you make progress.

In addition, I notice that people communicate differently when they
think they are broadcasting to the public. They may start
grandstanding. Some people get this sudden urge to prove that they are
right and others are wrong when they are on public list with wide
exposure.

From time to time, you do need to pull your ideas together in a
coherent way and present them to the general public. In the W3C, we
try to do this every 3 months.

Jonathan