   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hello Mark,

Mark said:
> With REST, you turn a lightbulb on with PUT, because the request is
> attempting to explicitly set the state of a resource; the same PUT
> used for saving preferences, turning on the TV, or just "editing a
> file".
>
> Any task that can be coordinated with RPC, can be coordinated with
> REST in a manner more suitable for Internet scale distribution.  If
> you're doing anything over the Internet with people that you haven't
> previously met and may not trust, RPC is the wrong technology.

Didier replies:
No problems Mark, show me - with your solution - how the calling program
made any economies of code in the following example:

Example (off course, this is a fictitious problem just for the sake of the
discussion):
We want to set a switch to ON from a remote location. The possible states
are ON, OFF, ERROR. The ERROR state is more precisely defined as:
- error_scheduling_task
- error_power too low
- error_circuit_malfunction
- error_already_set_to_on
- error_already_set_to_off.

All errors loged in a time-stamped log-file.

Ok let's take a simple procedural language now to resolve this problem

if set_switch(ON) != OK then
{
        start_log(time());
        switch error
        {
        case error_scheduling_task: log("error_scheduling_task");
        case error_power too low: log("error_power too low");
        case error_circuit_malfunction: log("error_circuit_malfunction");
        case error_already_set_to_on: log("error_already_set_to_on");
        case error_already_set_to_off: log("error_already_set_to_off");
        }
        end_log();
}
else

Do not forget that you have to log in a local file someting like:

time: 12 feb 2002; 22:34:22
error_circuit_malfunction

Based on the assurance of your reply, you have surely something good to
propose. I am anxious to expand my knowledge.

cheers
Didier PH Martin