   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims (Was: What does SOAP really ad

At 08:36 PM 4/22/2002 -0400, John Cowan wrote:

>That is indeed (or so I believe) in progress, but the W3C is unwilling
>to impose openness, *especially* retroactively, on its WGs.

Absolutely -- and new charters of existing working groups and new groups
are asked to discuss the access issue -- though, as far as I know, open
access has not been imposed upon a group against their will.

It's far more than grandstanding. Look at the quip a few days ago about an
IRC transcript -- imagine any comment, no matter how flip, no matter how
devil's advocate, no matter how pointed, could be read by anyone -- and
then misinterpreted, taken out of context, or otherwise manipulated, and
then you see headlines or email "flashes" about how Company Y thinks
Technology Z is a waste of time, yet they claim to support that
Standard!?!, someone's lying to us! That guy is from Company Y, so he's
speaking the Official Company Party Line on this!!!!

No amount of disclaimers will go around that -- public input *is*
available, any time after an initial draft is published. You don't have to
wait for a special call for it, read it and comment.

Suggestions of improprieties (what dastardly improprieties could there be
anyway? Oh! My! Company Y and Company Z, official enemies, actually AGREED
on something!!!) simply because you can't see letter and verse of every
conversion are just downright paranoid.

Ann
Ann Navarro, WebGeek Inc.
http://www.webgeek.com/