   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims (Was: What does SOAP really ad

Well, I'm really pleased to hear that the W3C has taken steps to open up
their process. I've wondered for a long time why they haven't just bitten
the bullet and done this.

Wrt the rest of your post: everything in life is a tradeoff, and openness in
standards efforts is no exception. Of course being closed will have some
marginal advantages, to the extent that any chance of misrepresentation is
eliminated. The point is that the coin has a flip side that is far more
significant. There is widespread perception that the W3C could benefit
greatly from more openness. All this talk about conflict being picked up by
the press seemed almost plausible back in the days of the MS/NS browser
wars, but those days are over. I challenge anyone to point to even one post
in the archives for, say, the XML Schema WG (one of the highest profile
efforts), that could have somehow been latched onto by the press. All of the
discussion is highly technical and, frankly, frightfully boring to the
general or even general technical public.

Anyway, I guess we've beaten this dead horse enough. I really am glad to
hear that progress has been made on this front. The standards landscape is
getting pretty competitive, and the W3C as much as anyone needs to do as
much as it can to be inclusive and make sure its specs are useful to a broad
public and get corresponding buy-in.

Matt