   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Francis Norton wrote:

> Let's say it simply and clearly. Web Services has exposed a substantial
> requirement for queries with complex parameters that cannot (as far I
> have seen so far) be expressed as orthodox GETs. The old distinction -
> between read-only GETs consisting of {name, value} lists and POSTs,
> which have the flexibility to pass XML blocks - is past its sell-by
> date. The angels have taken it for a friend. It is an expired paradigm.

Your tone reminds me of the OODBMS proponents, circa 1994, saying "well
everyone agrees that the relational model is dead {insert monty
python references} and OODBMS is the future."

Frankly, I think that the predictions of the people who build general-
purpose technologies, on the subject of what they're apt to used for,
can safely be ignored.  (I speak from personal experience here).  It
seems to me profoundly profoundly silly to assert that the RPC model of
fetching information using a service name and some name/value argument
pairs is dead.  It also seems profoundly silly to assert that the RPC
model is the be-all and end-all.

The important difference is that that the RPC model, for safe/idempotent
operations, can in principle be exposed as a URI.  In practice, it can
be done cheaply and easily (see my proposal over in www-tag).   If it
can be done, it should be done.  Those who fail to see the benefits of
placing the maximum possible amount of information in URI space just
Don't Get It and have apparently slept through the last decade.
  -Tim