   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hi Adam,

Adam said:
> One of Joshua's comments got me thinking.  Which is *more* broken:
> SOAP or XSLT?  That is, is it a misfeature of XSLT that document()
> can't send SOAP requests, or that idempotent SOAP requests don't
> use a simple GET?  I ask that rhetorically not to ascribe blame, but
> to understand the issue more fully.

Didier replies:
Exactly the Beatle was hidden under the rock! The XSLT fetching method is
and was limited. For instance, not allowing us to request an XML document
from an Oracle database (requires a POST to encode the SQL request),
performing a WebTV server 'so request to get back the result of a SEARCH
method or to process the document returned by a SIP INVITE method.  It seems
that the basic premises of XSLT for document fetching is that documents are
static and not dynamically created by processing agent. It seems that the
XSLT work group didn't caught the new HTTP based technologies out there.
There are more ways to fetch a document then using an HTTP GET (confirmed by
the millions of documents produced that way).

cheers
Didier PH Martin