   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hi Julian,

Julain said:
> I don't understand the question. I just stated that XSLT's document
function
> itself is not tied to GET -- GET just happens to be the default retrieval
> method for HTTP. Whether and what other URI schemes are supported by an
XSLT
> engine is implementation-specific.

Didier replies:
According to the specs, you are reduced to an HTTP GET in addition to any
other URI only protocols. If you want to obtain a document from an Oracle
database using a POST to send an SQL request you can't. There is an implicit
limitation to the HTTP GET (in the case of the HTTP protocol). If you want
to add the feature to be able to perform an HTTP POST in your XSLT engine
you either have to create a new URI or to create a proprietary extension to
XSLT.

Julian said:
> Wait-a-minute. Just because an HTTP method returns an XML document doesn't
> mean that it doesn't have side-effects.

Didier replies:
Off course, and using an HTTP GET do not garanty that you'll won't have any
side effect. At last with the actual implementations supporting URI
parameters and server side scripts overiding the default GET method.

Julian said:
> I happen to know WebDAV and can tell you that WebDAV's method to obtain a
> document is ... GET (WebDAV is just an extension of HTTP).

Didier replies:
Yes and me too since I participated to the workgroup. To obtain a document
referred by a URL. But the result of a SEARCH function is an XML document.
An XML document dynamically created by the Webdav server.

 You may need to get the result of a SEARCH function and transform it (with
XSLT) into HTML to display the result of the search in a browser. With the
SEARCH method you obtained a well formed XML document.

Julain said:
> Now I agree that it would be nice if there was a way to get some of the
XML
> formatted information that a WebDAV server can offer into XSLT. I can
think
> of two:
>
> - assign the information a URI on which you can do a GET
>
> - use an XSLT extension function

Didier replies:
I want to be sure I follow you well. Do you mean that the webdav server
could include or process the XML document if we add as parameter an XSLT
style sheet? Or I misunderstood you completely, if that is the case, can you
expand your idea a bit more.

cheers