   RE: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Well, then that's the server's fault, not XSLT's, right?

> Julian said:
> > I happen to know WebDAV and can tell you that WebDAV's method
> to obtain a
> > document is ... GET (WebDAV is just an extension of HTTP).
>
> Didier replies:
> Yes and me too since I participated to the workgroup. To obtain a document
> referred by a URL. But the result of a SEARCH function is an XML document.
> An XML document dynamically created by the Webdav server.

Right now, there isn't a SEARCH method -- just a (private) internet draft.
Guess what? I'm really considering to follow what Mark has proposed (letting
the method create a new resource from which the query result can be obtained
using GET).

>  You may need to get the result of a SEARCH function and
> transform it (with
> XSLT) into HTML to display the result of the search in a browser. With the
> SEARCH method you obtained a well formed XML document.
>
> Julain said:
> > Now I agree that it would be nice if there was a way to get some of the
> XML
> > formatted information that a WebDAV server can offer into XSLT. I can
> think
> > of two:
> >
> > - assign the information a URI on which you can do a GET
> >
> > - use an XSLT extension function
>
> Didier replies:
> I want to be sure I follow you well. Do you mean that the webdav server
> could include or process the XML document if we add as parameter an XSLT
> style sheet? Or I misunderstood you completely, if that is the
> case, can you
> expand your idea a bit more.

No, I didn't mean that.

- the WebDAV search arbiter could create a resource representing the search
result, which you could GET,

- you could just use an XSLT extension function to call the HTTP search
method.

-> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webdav-dasl/

Julian