   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hi Julian,

Julian said:
> Well, then that's the server's fault, not XSLT's, right?

Didier replies:
or XSLT fault is to count on an abstract URI that does not exist yet. Thus,
what's missing if we say that only HTTP GET can fetch document is a URI
sufficiently complete to allow us to express most of the queries we need. If
we bring this URI form ether to reality then, neither XSLT nor HTTP is
bugged.

Julian said:
> Right now, there isn't a SEARCH method -- just a (private) internet draft.
> Guess what? I'm really considering to follow what Mark has proposed
(letting
> the method create a new resource from which the query result can be
obtained
> using GET).

Didier replies:
Right, this is contained in a draft document not a private one since the
document's copyright is owned by the Internet society (ref:
http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-search-latest.html_.
For those of you not aware of IETF methodology, drafts precede RFCs are used
as discussion basis (i.e. intemediary documents). Then, let's then speak of
the PROPFIND method which is part of the WebDAV RFC (ref:
http://www-old.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/webdav/protocol/rfc2518.pdf). What is
returned is an XML document. You can off course say that PROPFIND is illegal
;-) in that case, what's missing is a URI that allow us to express the same
versatility that an HTTP post allow us. Suggestions?

Julian said:
> - the WebDAV search arbiter could create a resource representing the
search
> result, which you could GET,
>
> - you could just use an XSLT extension function to call the HTTP search
> method.
>
> -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webdav-dasl/

Didier replies:
Thanks for the precision.