   RE: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

> There are more ways to fetch a document then using an HTTP GET (confirmed
> by the millions of documents produced that way).

Right.  Although I think that Paul's main point was that GET is the easiest method to implement, and there are lots of clients that can do GET but not POST.  Paul was attempting to make the argument that any system which uses a POST where a GET would suffice is shutting out these naïve clients.

Whether it is the fault of the client for being naïve, the fault of the service for requiring sophistication, or the fault of neither due to such usages being out of scope of the design of the service is a matter for endless debate.

(Replace naïve/sophistication with facist/flexibility above if you want to make the argument that XSLT is deliberately naïve in order to enforce RESTful architectures).