   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hi Thomas,

Thomas said:
> The RFC doesn't  impose that because it doesn't use "MUST", only "SHOULD".
> I have been assunimg that much of this thread has been concerned with
> pretending that the word had been "MUST", in the interest of trying to
keep
> a clean architecture and staying within the clearly expressed intent of
the
> RFC ("SHOULD"= "clearly expressed intent").

Didier replies:
Yes, this simple word makes the whole difference and this is why we have
these kind of discussions actually. I have to say that several RFCs are
based more on prescriptions than an impositions and this is probably why the
error delta becomes so big after a couple years. Freedom of choice brings
variance. I have also to say that if a problem cannot be resolved in one way
it will be resolved in another. From my point of view, we are using the HTTP
POST method because of the actual limitations of URLs intended to express a
location, not to express sophisticated queries.

Thanks for you analysis Thomas.

cheers
Didier PH Martin