   Re: [xml-dev] XML & XML NameSpaces

Michelle Azzopardi wrote:

> I would like to know whether it is possible in castor to map the XML as in
> the following lines (1) & (2).. and more importantly how...? These XML
> documents make use of URI NameSpaces incl.
> http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema
>
> 1) <car colour = "red" type = "saloon" />
>
> 2) <xsd:element name = "id" type ="xsd:int"/>
>
> I only found examples of mappings with closed element tags
>
> <car colour = "red" type = "saloon" >
> <>
> </>
> </car>  <-- closing tag

1) I assume that by "closing tags" you mean elements that contain child
elements (as opposed to elements that only contain attributes). Note
also that <foo a="aaa" b="bbb"/> means the same thing as <foo a="aaa"
b="bbb"></foo>, so the existince of closing tags alone doesn't mean
anything.

2) Castor should be able to handle element types that have empty and
non-empty content models. See the documentation for the Castor mapping
language to be sure.

> Can Castor be used to create XML documents from Java by marshalling using
> Other URI Namespaces...such as http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/?

I don't know if Castor supports namespaces. I would be very surprised if
it didn't.

If you have found an example of Castor mapping an element type
identified by its namespace URI -- I think that is what you mean by
"These XML
documents make use of URI NameSpaces incl.
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema"; -- then Castor supports namespaces.

-- Ron

P.S. If you have more questions, please ask them on the Castor mailing
list. The people there know much more about Castor than the people here.