   Access to Tamino from Java environments

[I've been off this list for quite some time, and have tried the
archives for relevant info - but no luck. Nevertheless: sorry if I
rephrase questions that has already been answered repeatedly]

Hello all,

I'm currently looking at XML databases and their possible use in an
information science course later this year. The idea, roughly, is to
demonstrate some issues related to XML and content management. This
will undoubtedly require "a look under the hood", and maybe a bit of
programming to illustrate how basic things get done. E.g. have some
students work out examples using both relational and XML databases.

My current focus is on Tamino. I'm looking for others to confirm my
initial findings, and help me find the relevant stuff to look into.

I've a hard time wading through docs, figuring out how to position
the various techologies, solutions, components. Especially: those
related to both client and server-side programming. As far as I can
tell after close-reading sessions this morning, there're three ways:

(1) Tamino API for Java
(2) X-Application (application framework)
(3) X-Tension (server extensions)

Number (1) looks like a client-side way to access Tamino, wrapping-up
each call to a DOM/SAX API in HTTP requests with parameters.

Number (2) is based on Java modules addressed through some JSP tag
libraries and is definately a server-side approach;

Number (3) looks like another server technology to do non-standard
processing of XML documents similar to the options offered by, for
example, XSLT extension functions. I assume this is relevant to an
application that transforms some external data to an XML-format. The
docs mention "(...) access to legacy processes through EntireX, ..."

Any comments from regular Tamino developers?
Thanks in advance for any directions,

Sandor

--
ir A.G.L. Spruit, Utrecht University, Information and computing sciences
"There is a bit of magic in everything, and then some