   Re: [xml-dev] Access to Tamino from Java environments

4/25/2002 7:49:23 AM, Sandor Spruit <sandor@cs.uu.nl> wrote:

>I've a hard time wading through docs, figuring out how to position
>the various techologies, solutions, components. Especially: those
>related to both client and server-side programming. As far as I can
>tell after close-reading sessions this morning, there're three ways:
>
>(1) Tamino API for Java
>(2) X-Application (application framework)
>(3) X-Tension (server extensions)

1) is useful in any Java environment, on either the client or
server side; It provides some  common database access classes
and works with a variety of XML APIs, including DOM and JDOM.

2) is a set of tools to allow Tamino to easily integrate into
the JSP environment.

3) is a way to have the Tamino engine invoke arbitrary code
(somewhat analogous to stored procedures in an RDBMS --
user-written functions, interfaces to legacy systems, etc.)
to handle XML data without the client-side programmer being aware
that it is not simply stored and retrieved to/from the database

The best place to ask Tamino-specific questions is the
forums of the Tamino Developer Community at
http://developer.softwareag.com/tamino/default.htm
Feel free to contact me offline if that doesn't give you
the information you need.

<DayJob hat="on">Mike Champion</DayJob>