   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Successes (RE: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims )

Hi Christopher,

Christopher said:
> That's a fair description, but part of the reason for that is precisely
> because XSLT was a distillation of lessons learned from James's extensions
> to DSSSL in Jade.  With his element and attribute pseudo--flow-objects, no
> one really needed the full transformation language, and that was the best
> practice distilled by XSLT.  XPath was also a best-practices distillation,
> from URLs, directory navigation, TEI pointers, and CSS and other
stylesheet
> languages' selectors.

Didier replies:
We shouldn't underestimate the influence XML-dev got on XSLT developments. I
remember the discussions that occurred on this topic. These discussions
where influential for the breakup of XSL into XSLT and XSLFO. These
discussions occurred also because of the experience we got from DSSSL and
the new opportunities offered by XML based rendering languages.

cheers
Didier PH Martin