   RE: [xml-dev] idempotent POSTs

Actually, even if you do a GET to the database, if it goes through an
intermediary function (like a servlet) it will end up changing the resource.
The logging business changing state is a side-issue which gets you into
Schroedinger's Cat-like spaces (:-)

Almost any application-based web-site uses GET to invoke backing code, be it
CGI-BIN, Servlet, JSP, ASP, CML, etc. And *that* code has lots of
side-effects in both modifying state and invoking code that modifies state.

The original intent behind the idempotence of GET made sense when resources
were limited to documents. But in an application-based environment, GET and
PUT have become shorthands for 'short' vs. 'long' CALL frames, where
GET-based requests are limited to URL size and PUT is not.

Ramin