   Re: [xml-dev] idempotent POSTs

[Ramin Firoozye]

> Actually, even if you do a GET to the database, if it goes through an
> intermediary function (like a servlet) it will end up changing the
resource.
> The logging business changing state is a side-issue which gets you into
> Schroedinger's Cat-like spaces (:-)
>
> Almost any application-based web-site uses GET to invoke backing code, be
it
> CGI-BIN, Servlet, JSP, ASP, CML, etc. And *that* code has lots of
> side-effects in both modifying state and invoking code that modifies
state.

> The original intent behind the idempotence of GET made sense when
resources
> were limited to documents. But in an application-based environment, GET
and
> PUT have become shorthands for 'short' vs. 'long' CALL frames, where
> GET-based requests are limited to URL size and PUT is not.

Well, I somewhat agree with you about the state of the practice.  I worded
what I said fairly carefully to refer to decouple the idea of "idempotent"
from most of the other stuff (at least I thought I did).  Still, just
because I use cgi or Cold Fusion or Zope or whatever do create a response
doesn't necessarily mean that the resource has been changed by virtue of
state information having changed on the server.

Cheers,

Tom P