   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

Hi Paul,

Paul said:
> Joel says: "Many things in SOAP are there to make it easier. WSDL is
> there so that I can type "google" followed by a dot and immediately get
> a little intellisense popup telling me what methods I can call. Then I
> can choose doGoogleSearch from the popup list and get intellisense again
> prompting me for all the arguments, and I can get little wavy red
> underlines in my editor if I pass a string where a long was expected."
>
> Guess what Joel! That isn't SOAP. SOAP is irrelevant. That's WSDL. My
> article was *PRO-WSDL*.

Didier replies:
Good point Paul. You are right, SOAP is only the marshaling protocol and
this could be replaced by something else for instance HTTP GET, XDR or other
kinds of serialization The power given to the tools comes from the interface
definition, something offred in the past by idl[1] definitions (either the
CORBA idl or the DCOM idl). You know sometime SOAPs are slippy :-)

[1] idl: Interface Definition Language.