   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 20:33, Mike Deem wrote:
> My technical argument is this: all that matters when using SOAP is XML
> and all the power of XML can be leveraged when building applications
> that use SOAP.

Uh, pardon me for asking stupid questions, but I had XML already, and
haven't found any actual advantage to using XML in a SOAP context.  In
fact, I see disadvantages.  Mixing envelopes with messages and putting
multiple receivers behind a single identifier seems downright dangerous,
if not simply bizarre.

You don't need SOAP to leverage XML.  If all that matters when using
SOAP is XML, I'll take my XML straight up, thanks.

> I can use the same programming model for doing simple "safe" things as I
> do for doing complex "unsafe" things. That programming model allows me
> to leverage Schema, XSLT, XQuery, XPath, etc.

I don't really see what you've gained, except dependencies on yet
another library.

> Granted, this may not be what SOAP tends to be *today*. But SOAP, at
> least, enables us get there someday.

I think you've mistaken a boulder-strewn detour for the main highway,
albeit one under construction, thanks.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!