   RE: [xml-dev] What are Web Services for? (Was RE: [xml-dev] lots of WS r

Dare,

Well, the key is the word "easily", I guess. As Paul pointed out, doing this
programatically on the assumption of XML interfaces for all the relevant
data sources wouldn't be that hard. It would clearly be beyond the abilities
of the average user, however.

On the assumption that you mean easily from the perspective of the end user
(as I did), I see two possibilities. I can't for the life of me see what
difference it would make if SOAP or REST are used, so I'll be interested to
see if Paul has some insight into this.

S1) Most obviously, provide a visual development environment that lets users
graphically draw workflows that link together XML data sources. I could view
the cinema listings in XML, drag the name of the movie (in English) into the
input field of the "queryMovie" command of the Internet Movie Database, and
select the resulting fields that interest me. I sort of imagine this looking
like MS Access, with a box for the movie itself with "joins" to Ebert's
review and the Rotten Tomatoes site. I would then format the output based on
some sort of report generation interface (also similar to Access, perhaps).

None of this is any different from any number of 4GL-type environments that
are out there. I'm ignorant about what kind of environments are out there to
do this specifically in the context of web services. In any case, this would
be very cool but probably not accessible to the average user either, but
rather to a slightly more sophisticated power user in the VB mold.

S2) The other possibility I see is to do something like QBE. I could press a
"record" button on my browser, run through the steps that interest me, and
click on areas of the resulting pages and say "add to summary" or something
like that. I am supposing at this point that the HTML pages are linked to
the underlying XML, probably because the former is generated from the latter
using a stylesheet. So I can just click on the stars in the Ebert review,
and the system knows what field to take from the XML document. It could then
rerun the whole process automatically.

Something like this might be usable for a lot of users with very limited
computer skills. Of course, it would be very very hard to implement, but
probably doable.

I have a few questions of my own (not necessarily for you specifically but
I'm struggling with them myself, so I'd be curious to see if anyone has
insights):

Q1) Supposing that the end user is using any one of the three environments
postulated above (programmatic interfaces, visual flow/data or "QBE"), what
are the concrete advantages of REST over SOAP? I can see the inconvenience
of extracting the useful XML data from a SOAP response, but this doesn't
seem to alter the underlying principles.

Q2) How half-baked is S2? How would I tell the system to iterate over the
film listings for a particular cinema and "run" the recorded process? How
would I tell it how to produce the results. At the end of the day, the
process of creating this kind of view is not going to be *that* simple, I
guess (since I know all this has been tried before). I'm still thinking
about how simple we could make it.

Q3) How do we apply these scenarios to a real B2C or B2B app? I need to
think more about this as well. I'll try to come up with a relevant use case.
B2C is probably more obvious than B2B...

Cheers,
Matt