   Re: [xml-dev] The spirit of XML (was RE: [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude wh

  • To: evan@evanlenz.net
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] The spirit of XML (was RE: [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude where I [expletive deleted] wantto)
  • From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 12:00:07 +0100
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

> I'm not sure if MSXML provides the ability to turn whitespace-stripping off;
> whether it does or not, the fact that it's the default for
> XSLT-in-the-browser seems to violate the spirit of the XSLT specification
> (if not the letter),

If used via the styleshet pi then there is no way to turn this off,
which makes it virtually impossible to reliably style XML documents
using client side XSLT in IE (which is a shame given that it has really
a very good XSLT implementation). Inter-word spaces can vanish even from
the middle of a text node (in the Xpath view) so there is no chance
of detecting this from the xsl stylesheet, even if you know you are
running in msxml.

David