   Re: [xml-dev] New XSLT, XPath, and XQuery drafts

At 06:07 PM 4/30/2002 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 17:53, Michael Kay wrote:
> > New drafts of the XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0, and XQuery 1.0 specifications have
> > been published:
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlquery-use-cases
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/query-datamodel/
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/
>
>Is there some hopefully meaningful-to-the-outside-world reason the W3C
>is dumping EIGHTEEN publications on the world in a two-day span?

The Query and XSL Working Groups are responsible for only six of these. The
feedback we get generally says that you want us to keep you up to date, and
we haven't published since December 20th. And there's a good reason to
coordinate the release of these documents.

XQuery and XPath are largely the same language, and should be kept in
synch. They depend on a data model, which must be kept up to date with the
languages so that the basic operations can be supported. The use cases are
often the place people look first to see the extent to which changes have
impacted the language, and the place that people go to get their initial
overview of the language, so they should be kept up to date. And the use
cases require function calls from the functions and operators.

I guess XSLT 2.0 could have been posted at a different time, but would that
help?

We promise that the amount of work needed to publish the next cycle will
keep us busy for a lot longer than you will need to read the ones we just
published.

Jonathan