   [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude where I [expletive deleted] want to

  • To: "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com>, XML DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude where I [expletive deleted] want to
  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:40:50 -0400

At 1:55 PM -0400 4/30/02, W. E. Perry wrote:

>I believe that Mike Kay has won this on a TKO, but IMHO it is a tragically
>pyrrhic victory.

For the record, I don't accept the TKO judgement, but I will accept
that not a lot more is to be gained by continuing this thread. I
simply do not believe the Ogbuji/Kay position that any preprocessing
as the source tree constructed is legal according to XSLT 1.0, for
reasons I have elucidated elsewhere in this thread. I will continue
to teach my students and readers that XSLT processors that apply
preprocess transforms not indicated by the stylesheet (e.g. MSXML 3.0
stripping of whitespace) are not conformant to the XSLT 1.0 spec, and
should not be used.

I am going to have to take a good look at the XSLT 2.0 draft that was
just published to see how this could be made clearer in that spec and
argue for that. I think the need for conformance testing mandates
such an approach, even if common sense fails to.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |