   Re: [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude where I [expletive deleted] want to

> I simply do not believe the Ogbuji/Kay position that any preprocessing
> as the source tree constructed is legal according to XSLT 1.0, for
> reasons I have elucidated elsewhere in this thread.

The problem with outlawing this is that in may cases (almost all cases
for MSXSL) there is no direct link bewteen the source tree for XSLT and
any literal linear XML file or string.

In MSXML The input to the XSLT engine is a DOM, that DOM may have been
produced by parsing a file or it may have been built  from the ground
up using DOM calls, or often it's a bit of both; an original DOM parsed
from a file then modified with some DOM scripting. XSLT doesn't know how
its input tree came into being. I mention MSXML but other processors
are the same, if they don't take a DOM as input, they probably accept a
sax stream, and that has many of the same issues.

I think that if you want to ban automatic xinclude processing the you
need to constrain XML parsers not XSLT engines. Conceptually The XSLT
engine will just ask for the parser to give it back a tree. If the
parser has expanded xinclude and removed white space, then the XSLT
engine can't do much abut it.

David