   Re: [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude where I [expletive deleted] wantto

At 4:10 PM +0100 5/1/02, David Carlisle wrote:

>The problem with outlawing this is that in may cases (almost all cases
>for MSXSL) there is no direct link bewteen the source tree for XSLT and
>any literal linear XML file or string.

I'm not familiar with the detailed API for MSXSL 3.0. For Java, where
I am familiar, it is possible to pass an XSLT processor a URL
pointing to the actual document or a stream from which the document
is read. In so doing, I indicate that I want the XSLT processor to
operate on *that document*, not some different document produced by
performing arbitrary operations on the original document. I did find
the documentation for what I think is MSXML 4.0 on MSDN, and that
version at least has a method that takes the string forms of URLs as
arguments for the transform method as well as methods that take DOM
Documents.

I can also feed the processor a DOM or JDOM Document object. If I do
that, then I am indicating that I want the processor to transform
that DOM or JDOM Document object, and I don't really care whether
that Document was read from a file or stream or not. If it was
modified in memory, then I modified it. The XSLT processor may not be
transforming the original document, but it is still transforming the
document I tell it to transform. I just don't think it's acceptable
to give a processor document A and have the processor decide, "I
don't like Document A. I'm going to transform Document B instead."

>I think that if you want to ban automatic xinclude processing the you
>need to constrain XML parsers not XSLT engines. Conceptually The XSLT
>engine will just ask for the parser to give it back a tree. If the
>parser has expanded xinclude and removed white space, then the XSLT
>engine can't do much abut it.

Constraints on the parser already exist.The XML spec defines what
information a parser must supply to a client app. The DOM spec
defines how white space is handled by DOM. The SAX spec defines how
white space is handled by SAX. Fortunately nobody I'm aware of is
really arguing about these.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |