   Re: [xml-dev] Normalizing XML [was: XML information modeling best practi

"W. Hugh Chatfield I.S.P." wrote:
> XML documents seem to me to be "transactions" which can be posted to a
> "database".  The transaction can get burst and filed as resusable
> information parts with configuration mgmt and version control(document
> management) - or update a portion of the database (e.g. order entry or
> banking) and these are all valid operations (create, update, delete). The
> design of the database and the design of the transactions are as you say
> related - but not the same.
>
> I have always tended to view an XML document as a transaction.

This is the messaging view of XML documents. It is probably true when
the XML document is created from an XML-enabled database.

However, the flexibility of XML means that it is not always true. XML
documents used to store semi-structured data correspond more closely
related to rows in a table and the design of the documents corresponds
exactly to the design of the database. In this case, you could view the
XML document as a transaction, but could also view it simply as the data
and inserting it into a database as the transaction.

There are also XML documents that don't fit the transaction view at all:
XSLT documents, XML-RPC documents, etc.

-- Ron