   Updates in XQuery 1.0 & the future of the XML Activity

In a message dated 01/05/02 19:20:40 GMT Daylight Time, michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com writes:

There's no plan to do update in XQuery version 1.

Michael,

That is and remains a disappointing scenario.

I would like to tease out a little more information to clarify the situation a little.

I am assuming that the XQuery (& XSL) Working Groups accept that there is a need for updates in XQuery. The question, if my assumption is correct, then becomes one of when updates may be expected in XQuery.

The information about the current status of the XML Activity, of which I understand the XML Query work forms a part, indicates that "Phase 4" is shortly to start. In describing Phase 4 of the XML Activity it is stated that it "... will ... focus on completing work in progress .... rather than on large areas of new functionality".

Can you or one of the copy recipients indicate whether updates in XQuery is viewed as "completing work in progress" or is a "large area of new functionality"?

If the latter is the case then the prospect of updates in XQuery in a timescale that will meet the needs of many looks highly uncertain.

Also, if adding update functionality to XQuery is not a "large" area of new work, then what are the impediments to adding it to XQuery 1.0.

When the XSL WG was getting close to the conclusion of work on XSL 1.0 the future work program (for work beyond XSL 1.0) was made publicly available at an early stage. As far as I can see the Charter for the XML Query WG is not publicly available. If it isn't then can you or the copy recipients clarify why it is viewed as confidential information, since many other W3C WG's feel able to share their work program and their future vision with the public.

I appreciate that the XQuery WG may not yet be close to the conclusion of work on XQuery 1.0 but it would be very useful for as much information as possible to be placed in the public domain so that those outside the WG can have a fuller insight into the WG's thought processes and plans - in this case specifically the plans for when update functionality will be provided.

Regards

Andrew Watt