   RE: Updates in XQuery 1.0 & the future of the XML Activity

There's no plan to do update in XQuery version 1.

Michael,

That is and remains a disappointing scenario.

You're not the only one who's disappointed. Everyone wants to do update. But even more than doing update, we want to get a spec out as soon as we possibly can.

I've only joined the XML Query WG very recently so I'm not that familiar yet with what's published and what isn't, but I'm sure there's no intent in the WG to be secretive.

Getting XML Query out is a long haul. There's a lot of "new science" in the work, and standards committees are not a very productive place to do new science. The delays are frustrating for all of us, but trying to do everything in version one won't speed things up.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com